How to Bring Fiance to The US

When love transcends international borders, the journey intertwines thrill with complexity, weaving a tapestry of emotions and bureaucratic nuances. For US citizens who find their hearts captivated by someone from a distant land, the aspiration of marrying their partner from another country sparks a unique adventure. This exploration, centered on uniting in the United States, becomes a pivotal chapter in their shared narrative. Below is a detailed walkthrough of the process to secure a fiancé visa, commonly known as the K-1 visa, for a beloved one. This journey, while intricate, is a testament to the power of love that bridges distances and navigates through the maze of legal requirements. The insights and tips provided aim not only to streamline this process but also to celebrate the strength of a bond that defies the constraints of maps and miles.

Fiancé Visa: What Is It?

Envision the fiancé visa, or K-1 visa, as a bridge linking a future spouse from overseas to life in the US. This specific visa, crafted for the fiancés of US citizens, distinguishes itself from other more broadly defined visa categories. It also enables the fiancé to immigrate with their minor, unmarried children with the K-2 dependent visa. Consider this visa a unique privilege, opening doors specifically for loved ones of U.S. citizens, thereby not just uniting hearts but also bridging families across continents. The process of obtaining this visa involves initially filing a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), followed by consular processing, which includes applying for the K-1 visa itself.

Who Can Petition for Their Fiancé?

a man proposing to a woman

Petitioning for a fiancé visa remains an exclusive right of U.S. citizens. This exclusivity is not shared with lawful permanent residents, accentuating the unique bond citizenship fosters in family-based immigration. It symbolizes a significant commitment, as the petitioner assumes responsibility for their fiancé’s arrival and well-being in the United States. The process, therefore, is not just a procedural step but also a reflection of the trust and responsibility bestowed upon U.S. citizens.

What are the Requirements to Obtain a Fiancé Visa?

Securing a fiancé visa involves fulfilling certain criteria. Both parties must be legally free to marry, necessitating the legal dissolution of any previous marriages. Additionally, an in-person meeting between the partners at least once in the past two years is required to establish the authenticity of their relationship. The critical stipulation is the requirement for the couple to marry within 90 days of the fiancé’s arrival in the U.S. Failing to do so risks the expiration of the visa and the potential need for the fiancé to depart the U.S. This requirement underscores the government’s intention to ensure that the primary purpose of the visa is met – the unification of the couple in the U.S. to marry inside the U.S.

Part I – I129F Petition Filed Before USCIS

The initial step in this process is filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with USCIS. This action serves as a formal declaration of the commitment to marry. Evidence of citizenship, the relationship, and the intent to marry within 90 days of the fiancé’s arrival in the US is necessary. This petition is the first official step in turning the dream of a life together into a reality, acting as a testament to the seriousness of the relationship.


If you’re navigating the journey of a fiancé(e) visa, let Agarwal Law Group be your guide. Contact us for advice and support, ensuring a smooth process for your partner’s arrival in the U.S.

Part II – K1 Visa/Consular Processing

Following the approval of the I-129F petition by USCIS, consular processing begins. The fiancé applies for a K-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country, involving the completion of various forms, medical examinations, and a visa interview to determine eligibility. This phase is critical as it is the first time the foreign fiancé actively participates in the immigration process, marking a significant milestone in their journey to the United States.

How Long Does The Fiancé Visa Process Take?

The duration of the fiancé visa process is variable, typically extending over several months. It depends on the workload of USCIS and the specific embassy or consulate involved. This time frame can be an anxious period for couples, filled with anticipation and hope as they await reunification in the United States.

What Happens After Obtaining a K1 Visa?

An American flag in front of a home

Upon receipt of the K-1 visa, the fiancé is eligible to travel to the US. A requisite is for the marriage to occur within 90 days of arrival; otherwise, the visa’s validity lapses. This phase is crucial as it transitions the relationship from long-distance to a shared life in the same country, marking the start of a new chapter in their lives.

Arriving in the U.S. With The K-1 Visa, What Happens Now?

Arrival in the US on a K-1 visa initiates a 90-day period before the wedding must take place. Post-marriage, the next step is filing for a green card to enable the foreign spouse to become a lawful permanent resident. At this point, the foreign spouse may also apply for work authorization and travel authorization based on a pending adjustment of status application.


Related: The US Naturalization Process: Everything You Need To Know


How Long Does It Take to Process a Green Card Based on a K-1 Visa?

The time frame for processing a green card following a K-1 visa is not fixed, often ranging from several months to a year. It fluctuates based on USCIS’s current workload and the thoroughness of the submitted documentation. During this period, the couple starts building their life together, often filled with both excitement and the challenges of adjustment.


Related: The Difference Between a US Citizen and a Lawful Permanent Resident


Preparing for the Interview?

The final portion of the green card application process is an interview with USCIS in the United States.  Preparation for the green card interview involves gathering evidence of a shared life, such as joint bank statements, lease agreements, and photos. The couple should be prepared to discuss their relationship to demonstrate its legitimacy. This interview is a pivotal moment where the couple can present their story and validate the genuine nature of their relationship.

Does Hiring a Lawyer Help With the Process?

Navigating the K-1 fiancé visa application process independently is possible. However, assistance from an immigration lawyer can facilitate this journey to ensure eligibility requirements are met and strong evidence is presented. Lawyers ensure accurate completion of paperwork, adherence to deadlines, and effective preparation for interviews. In the complex realm of immigration law, professional support is instrumental in seamlessly transitioning from the K-1 visa to obtaining a green card, symbolizing the start of a new chapter in the United States.


Planning to bring your fiancé(e) to the U.S.? Agarwal Law Group offers expert assistance to simplify the process. Schedule a consultation with us and take the first step towards uniting with your loved one.



10.0Pratibha Kanive Agarwal
top attorney 2022

Agarwal Law Group

1100 H Street NW,

Suite 1220

Washington DC 20005