7 Ways To Qualify for a Green Card in the U.S.

There are various ways to qualify for permanent residency in the U.S. We will discuss several methods of obtaining a green card.

Obtaining a green card through marriage is one of the most common ways to obtain lawful permanent resident status. However, that’s not very helpful to people who wish to live and work in the U.S. without marriage ties to a citizen or green card holder.

Please see below for several other ways to obtain a green card


     1. Green Cards For Relatives of U.S. Citizens

One way you can qualify for a green card is by having a U.S. citizen or green card holder  file Form I-130 to petition for you to become a permanent resident. This family-sponsored green card allows close relatives to join their family members in the U.S. Other than a spouse, close relatives can include children and parents of U.S. citizens.  However, more distant relatives (like cousins and grandparents) cannot petition for you or be petitioned.


family dining at a restaurant

      2. The Diversity Visa Lottery

Obtaining a green card through this program is arguably “easier” than through other methods; however, it does rely on luck — only 50,000 people each year are granted a green card through the program. If you get lucky, you may also be able to bring your spouse and minor children with you as derivatives.


      3. Employment-Based Green Cards

Unless you meet the EB-1 requirements (discussed below), you’ll need a U.S. employer to sponsor your green card by applying for PERM labor certification and by submitting Form I-140 to the USCIS. This process can take years.


      4.Investment-Based Green Cards

Investors who satisfy certain criteria may be eligible for an EB-5 investment-based green card by filing Form I-526.


      5.Green Cards For Special Immigrants

The Special Immigrant Visa program is primarily a way for immigrants who helped the US government while abroad and religious workers to obtain permanent resident status.


       6. Green Cards For Asylum Seekers, Victims of Crime, or Victims of Trafficking

Those who qualify as asylees, recipients of T-visas (victims of trafficking), recipients of U-visas (victims of crime) can apply for a green card after a certain period of time in asylee, T, or U-status. Spouses and children may also be eligible to adjust status.


       7. Green Cards For Abuse Victims

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows eligible spouses, parents, and children (regardless of their gender) to petition for a green card and obtain lawful permanent resident status.


a woman holding a cardboard with the caption LOVE SHOULDNT HURT

Navigating the path to a green card in the U.S. is no easy feat.  Please do not hesitate to reach out to our firm to further discuss options for permanent residency.  

10.0Pratibha Kanive Agarwal
top attorney 2022

Agarwal Law Group

1100 H Street NW,

Suite 1220

Washington DC 20005